Bichon Frise DNA Collections
CHIC DNA Repository Instructions
Bichon Frise Club of America DNA Clinic -- DNA Swab Collection
CHIC has waived the normal $5 fee for processing and storage of DNA swabs to support the BFCA DNA clinic at the 2008 national specialty in Boise, Idaho.
Follow these steps to submit DNA from your Bichons Frises to the CHIC DNA Repository::
- Obtain the DNA samples when you are at home, and submit with the forms attached to OFA by the end of May 2008.
- The owner completes the DNA bank application form and the health survey.
- Twirl one swab on the inside of the cheek for 10 seconds to collect mucosal cells.
- Repeat this process for the other 4 swabs.
- Allow the 5 swabs to air-dry for at least 10 seconds.
- Replace the 5 swabs in the original packages. Do not seal the package in any way. Write the registered name and AKC # of the dog on the package of each swab or attach a label.
- Place the completed application form, health survey, and 5 swabs in labeled packages in a paper envelope and send via regular mail to:
CHIC DNA Repository
2300 E Nifong Blvd
Columbia, MO 65201-3806
- Do not seal any swab packages and do not place any swabs or envelopes in plastic bags, to prevent exposure to moisture, which can destroy DNA.
- The OFA enters the dog information into the database creating a DNA sample record for that dog.
- The OFA records the health history of the dog.
- The OFA issues a certificate to the owner stating that a sample has been recorded in the CHIC DNA Repository and will be made available to the research community.
- The DNA will be linked to a pedigree and an ongoing health history of the dog, updateable online over the lifetime of the dog by the owner, and remains anonymous.
For more information, please contact:
Chief Operating Officer
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
2300 E Nifong Blvd.Columbia, MO 65201